Welcome to Mike's Wood Products
"A small family based Company who strive in building quality products at a reasonable price."
Mike's Wood products have evolved over the years from a small trellis only business to what it is today, a business that makes a wide variety of garden and lifestyle products for clients that are too busy and do not have the time.
We specialise in using eco-friendly, sustainable and renewable timber which is mainly macrocarpa. Our products are easy to maintain to ensure they last a very long time. All the fixings we use are either galvanised or stainless steel to provide a long hassle free life.
Mike is the owner operators of Mike's Wood Products. Mike has applied his trade of building garden and lifestyle products for over 10 years and has had many customers compliment him on how easy he is to deal with and how willing he is to go that extra mile to make sure you get the product you are happy with.
Mike's Wood Products have over recent times used Trade Me to promote and sell some of their products and has received many complimentary comments.
Mike's Wood Products offer customers a wide range of products that continues to grow and with each product there are options as to the finish, oiled, stained, planned, natural, kitset or prebuilt and they offer free delivery of kitset products within the Christchurch city.
Macrocarpa Timber is the main product of choice by Mike for many of the Company's product although he does also supply larch rebated, on site, for things like ute decks.
Why Macrocarpa (Botanical name: Cupressus Macrocarpa):
- STRENGTH - Macrocarpa is a low-to medium-density softwood that looks and works like kauri.
- DURABILITY - Both the heartwood and sapwood of macrocarpa are naturally borer resistant (Anobium) for interior housing purposes. The heartwood is moderately durable for above-ground purposes, but the sapwood is non-durable. The timber cannot be pressure treated with copper, chromium and arsenic (CCA), but sapwood can be boron diffusion treated to resist insects (but not decay).
- FINISHES - Macrocarpa, when dry, will accept a variety of paints, oils, two pot resins and varnishes.
- WORKING PROPERTIES - Macrocarpa has a fine grain and machines and sands well to give a high-quality finish. It is a very stable wood, is easily sawn and has relatively low surface hardness, with good working and finishing characteristics and relatively uniform wood properties.
- APPEARANCE - The heartwood is golden brown and has a speckled lustre, which is rare in timber.
Macrocarpa is so versatile it is regularly used for interior decorations and building material as well as being able to be used in the garden as it is resistant to rot so doesn’t need chemical treatment - a big bonus when its being used in a vegetable patch and you don’t have the possibility of
the heavy metals and the likes of arsenic that are used in standard timber treatments leaching out and being taken up into the food you eat!